|Back to technical page|
Ignition Coil Rewind
by Bob Board
I bought a Kanguro, in good condition but hard to start. I found the ignition coil to measure about 150 Ohms so decided a rewind was needed. (Please note any measurement below 160~170 Ohm of the ignition coil will result in difficult starting - webmaster).
I used 0.15mm enamelled copper wire from wires.co.uk. I bought a 500g coil, but that is way too much, 50g is probably enough. They also do the wire with a solderable enamel, which would make it easier to connect. To wind the coil, I used an old hand-cranked grindstone, by taking off the stone I could mount the former onto the spindle, then I had a 10:1 gear up for winding. I also made a simple mount for the coil of copper, so I could suspend it above the winder.
I soldered one end of the copper wire to some multi-strand instrument wire, reinforced the joint with some heat shrink insulation, then used PTFE tape to hold it in the former.
Now the hard bit – make yourself comfortable in front of the winder and tell everyone to leave you alone! Start winding slowly, counting turns, keeping tension on the copper and trying to ensure an even spread of winding across the former. You should be aiming for 3000 turns / 300 Ohms. I found that the coil was full at about 2800 turns so I terminated the end in a similar way to the start, wound some tape round to hold and measured the resistance at about 250 Ohms, you may consider using 0.125mm wire instead.
Next a good dipping in varnish, leave it to dry and remount on the stator. I found that the coil was slightly bigger than original, so is a tight fit between the two adjacent coils. All three now sit a little further out than originally. Replace the copper voltage limiting device (if fitted originally) and reconnect the earth connection and green wire to the ignition.
I then used nuts and screws to reattach the coils to the core. Refit the stator unit, flywheel back on (ensuring nothing fouls on the new winding), reconnect, switch on, 2 kicks and yahoo!
I then checked all connections, nuts, bolts, etc. Replaced the side cover and went for a short ride – great. 300km's later, still no problems, starts easily. Thanks to Tony Kersbergen for supplying the coil former – I’m still looking for a source of formers or complete coils.
Back to technical page
Back to index page