Hello from new member

The US models of the Corsaro were called Hurricane, Cyclone or Jaguar.
In the US, Sbarazzino was called Thunder Chief
Riceman

Hello from new member

Post by Riceman » 04 Mar 2019, 10:14

Hi everyone,
New guy here who has just acquired a 1958 Sbarazzino 98. It needs a lot of work doing but I'm sure I will get there in the end. No doubt I will be asking questions along the way. I will try and post a photo as soon as possible.

Best Regards

Andy

350-v-twin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from new member

Post by 350-v-twin » 04 Mar 2019, 11:40

Hi Andy,

welcome to the forum. There should be a few guys being able to give you advice. But, there aren't many Sbarazzino's within our Club. :(

Riceman

Post by Riceman » 04 Mar 2019, 17:14

download/file.php?mode=view&id=174
Photo as promised.

I managed to get the bike running today, after fitting a new battery, but only for about 10 seconds and then it cut out :? .
Fuel is not a problem so checked the spark plug which is very temperamental and not sparking all the time. I think it could be the HT lead as it is very old, so tomorrow I will look at replacing it with a new one. I tried to have a look at the points but I can not figure how to get them out at the moment :(
The next problem is the clutch cable has broken and I recon that the clutch has siezed with the bike being stood for over 20 years. Any ideas on where I can find a clutch cable replacement?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tintin

Post by Tintin » 05 Mar 2019, 09:50

"Innamorato di vecchi motocicli Italiani"

350-v-twin
Site Admin

Post by 350-v-twin » 05 Mar 2019, 10:34

Like TinTin mentioned, normally Venhill has a wide variety of ready made cables, however ready made cables for a 60 year old bike will be difficult to find. Therefore you should make your own clutchcable from a universal cable.

Hope you understand my instructions. If not, I am sure you'll find an instruction on YouTube.

Use a caliper to measure the diameter of the inner cable. Get a universal cable which is longer than the original one.
I would replace the outer cable as well and get one which is lined with teflon (or similar). That way the friction inside the cable is minimal, which is better for your wrist ;-)

Normally one end of the inner cable is already fixed with a small "drum". Find out the size of the (permanent) drum on the other side and get one of those as well, and also one which can be
fixed on the inner cable with a screw (temporary drum).

This is a shop (in Dutch), which has all possible inner/outer cables and drums https://www.cable-shop.nl/
(Normally at oldtimer markets you'll find suppliers like this).

To fix the cable properly:
1) new outer cable should be app. same lenght as the original,
2) put the small drum in the clutchlever on the handlebars,
3) route the cable to the other side, the clutch lever on the engine. Avoid sharp bends,
4) pull out the inner cable on the clutch side and put the temporary drum (with a screw) on the inner cable,
5) soon as you have found out the correct lenght of the inner cable, replace the temporary drum with the permanent drum and cut the inner cable about 0,5cm past the inner drum,
6) spread out the individual tiny cables (which make the cable) and solder them into the permanent drum,
7) once cooled off, cut off the rest of the wires.

You're done.

BTW: a teflon lined outer cable should never be lubricated.

Riceman

Post by Riceman » 06 Mar 2019, 12:07

Thanks guys for your valuable input, yesterday I ordered a universal clutch kit from Venhills as recommended, and would you believe it, it just arrived in the post as I was typing. I have a new HT lead and spark plug which I also picked up yesterday and will be popping over to the workshop to fit everything.
Fingers crossed I will get the bike running today :)

Riceman

Post by Riceman » 06 Mar 2019, 18:27

Good news, she runs and sounds great. Still working on the clutch though, but it's looking good so far.