Settebello 250 Tune up specs

Turismo, Briscola, Gran Turismo, Super Sport, Tresette, Tresette Sprint, Settebello
SettebelloGarelli

Settebello 250 Tune up specs

Post by SettebelloGarelli » 16 Jan 2018, 05:13

Does anyone out there with a 250 SetteBello have a manual or know where to find one?
I am looking for valve lash settings, as well as timing and points gap.
Could anyone help me?

350-v-twin
Site Admin

Re: Settebello 250 Tune up specs

Post by 350-v-twin » 16 Jan 2018, 23:26

Hello,

there are only very few Settebello's 250 in our country, so reply from an owner is unlikely.
The good news: Our Club does have both owners manual and parts catalogue; the bad news: both are in storage and not easy accessible.

For most bikes valve lash setting is 0,1mm (cold), gap between the contacts of the ignition: max 0,4mm. Have you tried those settings?

What do you measure right now?

BTW: you probably can find the original owners manual and parts catalogue at Cesare Resta. Contact him through http://www.motomanuali.com/

wattsh

Post by wattsh » 24 Oct 2021, 01:03

Hello! As an owner of a 250 Settebello engine, I can tell you that there is no workshop manual, at least I haven't found one in over 3 years of looking. I have been trying to find a workshop manual for the 175 Settebello, thinking that many of the parts and specs may be the same or very close. But, I can't find one of those either. So, if anyone has a source for the 175 workshop manual, please let me know.

Also, the parts manual is a small, booklet affair, with only drawings of the components parts, identified by "Item number" and a brief description of the the part. There are no part numbers. I have been trying to resurrect this engine and modify it for use in vintage motocross, but it has been a long, unfruitful journey so far. The first challenge was trying to find missing parts, which were the rocker tower/castle and the pushrods. I sourced a piston from Italy, but it came with a broken ring that I have not been able to replace. I am going to try one from a Wards/Benelli which is very similar. I was able to source a rocker tower/castle for a 175 Setteblello, which turned out to be correct in all dimensions, excepting the holes for the cylinder studs. Using this as a starter, I had a local machinist make one from aluminum. It is an expensive work of art, but won't know how well, or how long it will work until I can actually get the engine running. The next challenge was rebuilding the crank. There are no off the shelf crank rebuild kits, so I had to send it to a specialty shop in Arizona, who built the crank using oversize bearings. That, too, was an expensive exercise, and it took over a year to get it done. I was thinking I was "home free" with the bottom end assembled, but, unfortunately, I discovered another problem...a crack in the the clutch basket gears, which lead to two damaged teeth. I haven't been able to find a replacement, so was thinking to have the gear repaired, but this has also turned into a expensive nightmare. I found a company in the mid-West US that said they could repair it...FOR $1020.00! Yikes, not sure I want to go that route. I have also looked into gear repair by brazing, which is a fairly simple task, other than cutting the new teeth. However, with the discovery of the crack, this clutch basket may not be salvageable. So, I am again looking for a new or used clutch basket. If anyone in the Group has one, or even a complete bottom end, please contact me with details. I have learned that although rare bikes are neat, I wouldn't advise getting into the Morini 250, unless you have the resources of Jay Leno...hahaha So, that is my story todate.

350-v-twin
Site Admin

Post by 350-v-twin » 24 Oct 2021, 09:55

I have answered your message seperately by e-mail, as I sent you also an article from a specific magazine on the 175cc models.

FB21

Post by FB21 » 09 Feb 2022, 11:27

Hi,

I am François, in France.
The secretary of French Morini Club.
But I join your forum only last week to promote our annual gathering and discovered your message.
I have a nice 250 Settebello 1967.
I have the original owners manual.
I put below the cover and page 8 about valves clerance settings.
I have the whole document, quite long to insert here.
May be we could find another way (.pdf ?) with you webmaster.
Feel free to contact me.

François BERNARD

setteb24.jpg
setteb23.jpg
250 Settebello FB r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.