New forum member

The US models of the Corsaro were called Hurricane, Cyclone or Jaguar.
In the US, Sbarazzino was called Thunder Chief
Aquila Nera

New forum member

Post by Aquila Nera » 25 Oct 2020, 02:04

Good day all, I’m New at this forum and I want to take the opportunity to introduce myself.

I’m a true Ital bike lover for many years and owned different makes and types of Italian bikes, but so far not a Morini.

I’m oriëntating myself to maybe buy myself a Corsaro 125 but I was wondering what attention points I have to look and hear for.

If’s a 1969 Corsaro 125..

Thanks for your help!

350-v-twin
Site Admin

Re: New forum member

Post by 350-v-twin » 25 Oct 2020, 10:48

Hello, welcome to the Forum!

Our Forum member Tom should be able to inform you. Hope he reacts.
As far as I know, the oil pump inside the Corsaro 125 engine is a weak spot. Standard it was made of cast aluminium (so I believe). It can crack.
Best is to replace it with a bronze aftermarket pump.

Tom, is this correct?

Aquila Nera

Post by Aquila Nera » 26 Oct 2020, 01:25

Thank you in advance!

Tom

Post by Tom » 05 Nov 2020, 11:20

Sorry for my late reply, but it's not often i come here and check new messages, it's a little bit dull here lately.

Maybe i should post some more here myself :oops:

That's a question which can leave all sorts of answers, but i know what you mean.

Well, nothing in particular you should worry about (like my collegue said: you MUST replace the oil pump for one made out of solid aluminium or bronze) but in general: clean the engine from the inside thoroughly. Poor in clean diesel petrol where the oil filler is, untill it's completely full, and let it soak for a couple of days (turning the kickstarter will help)

Opening the engine is always a better idea, as long as it has not been rebuilt, you can expect built up of mineral oil waste and sludge in the nooks and crannies of the engine for over 50 years, especially the lower parts of the engine where it 'sits'.

When the engine is clean (i always use brake cleaner after the diesel threatment) and get rid of all the sludge, use WD40 after this to protect all the steel parts inside (bearings etc.) before you poor in new oil, mineral that is 10w40 winter, 20w50 summer.

Replacing the oil pump is a straight forward job, but of course you will need some talent.

It all depends on the condition of your Corsaro, but the built up of mineral oil (and maybe the lack of maintenance) is a big problem.

I had a 150cc Corsaro which looked like it had been just taken out of the showroom with only 14.000 km's on the clock.
After driving it for a while, the plain big end bearing of the crank started to make a scattering noise.
I opened up the engine and the big end was completely shot! The rest of the engine was like new, but the oilpump was stuck rock solid.

Of course the 'sludge trap' of the crank was completely full with material and the built up of mineral sludge in combination with material of the clutch, was beyond imaginantion, what a mess!

So don't judge the book by it's cover, you never know what's inside of the engine, and if it has not been rebuilt, expect the worse case scenario.

That is after you heard the bike running, and it's not making strange noises of course.

The tappets of the valve pushrod also wear out easily with the corsaro's, because the tappets themselves are not hardened. That makes these type of engines noisy.

The 125cc engine is a good and well thought engine, but for Morini principles, it was made somewhat low budget.

If you look at the 175cc engine, i was made with a higher standard.

All the best, and keep us informed!