1966 Jaguar 125

The US models of the Corsaro were called Hurricane, Cyclone or Jaguar.
In the US, Sbarazzino was called Thunder Chief
Brennus

1966 Jaguar 125

Post by Brennus » 09 Aug 2009, 06:16

I am new to this forum, and so if I ask anything silly, I apologize in advance. Also, I know neither Dutch nor Italian, so I pray someone here speaks English and can help me!

I recently purchased a 1966 Jaguar 125, which I believe is one of the many varieties of the Corsaro released in the sixties (it is in nearly all ways identical visually to the Corsaro Veloce, with the exception being the pipe/muffler, the seat, and the rear shocks). Unbelievably, it has a clear title and only 606 original miles (though I have already put quite a few on it). It is almost as if no one ever touched it. It is nearly complete, with only two missing parts: the red tail light cover in the back, and the tool box door. I am not terribly upset about the missing tail light cover, however if anyone knows off hand what the part number is on it (I know it is by CEV), that would be appreciated. But moreover, what I am currently looking for is a replacement door for the tool box. Were these the same on all the Corsaros, or specific to the model? If anyone knows where I can obtain either an original or a repro, I would be very thankful to know where.

While I have this thread open, I will go ahead and say that I have been trying to get the air cleaner apart on the carb, but I cannot get it to budge. Is it supposed to pull apart, or does it not come apart at all? I really need to get the air filter clean, and this is presenting a great difficulty to me.

I am sorry this thread turned out to be so long, and so full of questions. Mostly I would like to know about that tool box door. My bike looks so naked without it.

Thanks!

Brennus

Post by Brennus » 09 Aug 2009, 06:33

One more thing (sorry!). What sort of oil am I supposed to use in this (I have been using 10W-40), and how much of it?

Thanks again!

350-v-twin
Site Admin

Re: 1966 Jaguar 125

Post by 350-v-twin » 09 Aug 2009, 15:21

Hi Brennus, welcome to the forum! You are a lucky *astard, finding such a rare and near-to-new, but over 40 years old bike.

I am no Corsaro expert, but I have some documentation on this model, so perhaps I can be helpful with some of your questions. However, if I compare the Jaguar, it looks more like a Corsaro Régolarita with it's high off-road muffler, see http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/wa1882b.jpg
For more pictures/info on the Corsaro, see www.motomorinclub.nl/ml.html

The red taillight cover (lens?) should be available through mr. Luc Stoppini. An Italian living in the Netherlands. See www.brommertje.nl
Not sure if he speaks English. If you can send pictures of the rear light, I can ask for you.

The missing door for the toolbox should be available in Italy. Best would be to visit an Italian motorbike/parts market. Perhaps anyone visits the famous "Imola" market in September.

I am not sure about the airfilter. Can you post a picture?
If it is a metal (round) filter in the rear opening of the carburettor, you could take off the carburettor. Let the rear end with the filter soak in brake fluid (brake oil) for a few days. You can also use diesel. That should do the trick.

About the oil: you should use
weight SAE 40 or weight SAE 30,
see http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/cor-vel64.jpg
and go down to the part: 'lubricifazione' (=lubrication).
It says 'estate' (=Summer) and 'inverno' (=Winter), which meas a different oil weight for Summer or Winter use. This was very common in the 60s.

Hope this answers :) some of your questions.

Brennus

Post by Brennus » 09 Aug 2009, 21:07

Yes, the muffler is the biggest difference between the Veloce and Jaguar. The guy who sold this to me said they were made for both on and off road purposes, which leads me to believe it is some sort of early Enduro bike (though it is made much more like a street bike than my 1971 Honda Enduro). The two biggest off road features on it are the back tire and the high muffler. From what he told me, these are very rare bikes these days, as most people (supposedly) bought them, used them as dirt bikes, ran them into the ground, and then junked them. Honestly, I have had a very hard time finding anything on them, and have yet to find anyone else who owns one. It's a wonder I happened upon it the way I did (that's one up for Craig's List!).

Yes, it is the lens I was referring to, but as I wrote that post at midnight, I could not for the life of me remember what the exact term for it was. I will try and get a picture of that taken and post it here soon.

Unfortunately, I am in the US, so a trip to Italy will be a bit difficult for me. However, I am going over to Europe in a year or so to study abroad, so maybe I can time that right and swing over to Italy for a few days/week or so.

That is the sort of filter I have, so soaking it in diesel as you said should hopefully work. I had considered doing that, but thought maybe if I could get it apart, I would.

And finally, thank you so much for the info on the oil. I had been noticing the engine getting a bit too hot lately, so I figured it had to be the oil. I know straight SAE 30 and 40 is much thicker than 10W anything, so hopefully that should clear that problem up.

Thanks a ton for your very speedy response, and maybe when I get this thing cleaned up, I can shoot some pictures of it out here!

350-v-twin
Site Admin

Post by 350-v-twin » 09 Aug 2009, 21:44

Brennus wrote:Yes, the muffler is the biggest difference between the Veloce and Jaguar. The guy who sold this to me said they were made for both on and off road purposes, which leads me to believe it is some sort of early Enduro bike (though it is made much more like a street bike than my 1971 Honda Enduro). The two biggest off road features on it are the back tire and the high muffler. From what he told me, these are very rare bikes these days, as most people (supposedly) bought them, used them as dirt bikes, ran them into the ground, and then junked them. Honestly, I have had a very hard time finding anything on them, and have yet to find anyone else who owns one. It's a wonder I happened upon it the way I did (that's one up for Craig's List!).
Craig's page won't open right now. Will try later. I am really interested in a picture of your bike!
Brennus wrote:Yes, it is the lens I was referring to, but as I wrote that post at midnight, I could not for the life of me remember what the exact term for it was. I will try and get a picture of that taken and post it here soon.
OK, fine. At the end of the month, we have our half yearly 'swap-meet', called "Vehikel", see www.vehikel.com Mr. Stoppini is there regularly. So that would be a chance to obtain the lens.
Brennus wrote:Unfortunately, I am in the US, so a trip to Italy will be a bit difficult for me. However, I am going over to Europe in a year or so to study abroad, so maybe I can time that right and swing over to Italy for a few days/week or so.
Then have a look at this calendar. It shows the dates of the most important Italian swap meets like "Imola" (held on the famous racetrack), "Reggio" (this is the town Reggio d'Emilia) and "Novegro" (very close to the airport of Milan). It's in Italian, but you can use an on-line translator to understand it. http://www.vespaforever.net/calendar.htm
Brennus wrote:That is the sort of filter I have, so soaking it in diesel as you said should hopefully work. I had considered doing that, but thought maybe if I could get it apart, I would.
Just leave it for a few days.
Brennus wrote:And finally, thank you so much for the info on the oil. I had been noticing the engine getting a bit too hot lately, so I figured it had to be the oil. I know straight SAE 30 and 40 is much thicker than 10W anything, so hopefully that should clear that problem up.
Yes, that should do the trick. Our Club sells the owners manual (8 Euro's) for the Corsaro 125. It is in Italian, but again with an on-line translator programme, like bablefish, you should be able to understand the text.
Brennus wrote:Thanks a ton for your very speedy response, and maybe when I get this thing cleaned up, I can shoot some pictures of it out here!
You're welcome! I 'll be curious for a picture!!